Friday, August 17, 2012

First Days of Our New Adventure

So...sorry it's been awhile.  We got so busy with unpacking and cleaning the joint up that we forgot to put up the last pictures and a few of what the apartment looked like with all our stuff.  :)

We got to our apartment nice and early on Wednesday.  We actually went to the wrong house first.  It looked exactly like ours (by that I mean it looked exactly like ours looked like on google earth....haha).  So anyway, luckily we didn't knock on the door or anything.  So after we got to the RIGHT place, we met our landlord, got the keys, and started to unload the truck.  When we first opened the back, there was shattered glass.  My first thought was "NOT MY WINDSHIELD!"  And my thoughts were correct, it was not my windshield (thankfully), but it was part of the entertainment stand we brought.  It had 3 tiers of glass.  Luckily my Dad and Benn were able to go to Lowes and get some wood to take the place of the glass.  Unloading the truck only took like...2ish hours with the 4 of us so we were pretty happy with that.

To be completely honest, when I first walked into our new place I thought, "hey, not too bad!".  Then I took a wiff and thought, "Oh...that smell has got to go".  It had a kind of musty smell so thankfully with our AC units and fabreeze, we are doing much better on the smell front.  The best part of moving in was walking into the kitchen...the tile floor was scratched and dirty, the fridge and stove were NOT clean, and the only part of the floor that did look nice had clearly been replaced.  (I say this because it was white tile, while the others were a tanish color....I mean would it really have been that hard to get something close to the right color?)  I almost forgot to mention the contact paper serving as wall paper.  The bathroom wasn't much in much better condition.  So, the cleaning supplies were the first to be unpacked and my mom and I got to work.  3 rolls of paper towels, half a bottle of 409, draino, a tub of Clorox wipes, 2 stainless steel balls, and about 12 pairs of blue latex gloves later, things are clean.  :)  There are still some things that Benn and I would like to fix up and redo to make it look better, but the majority of it is done and it is amazing how much better things look when they are clean.  I had to keep telling myself through the whole thing that it could have been SO much worse - considering the first time we saw the place in person was when we walked in the door that Wednesday morning.

All in all, Benn and I are very happy with our new apartment and are excited to get our lives started here in Boston.   We have just about finished all the unpacking and will start hanging stuff up to make things look more like home.  I'll be sure to post some pictures of the final look in a few days.

 Thursday and Friday were spent unpacking, shopping at IKEA for some furniture items, and having fun!  We got to meet up with one of my mom's friends from High School.  We went into Boston and had dinner at a great seafood place.  Benn and I were able to take my parents to Mike's Pastry and get a variety of canoli's.  We were also able to visit a girl that grew up in Parma who now lives in the country area of Boston with her husband and 5 children.  It is amazing how having someone you know near helps make a new adventure not so scary. 

Saturday morning my parents left.  I was very eager for them to stay, but understood that the time had come for them to start their journey back across the United States.  This was probably the wettest part of our trip, including Niagara Falls.  :)  I couldn't help but cry when I said goodbye to my parents.  They have been such a support to not only me, but Benn as well.  We literally would not have been able to make our move to Boston without them.  We are so grateful for the sacrifice they made to spend about 10 days with us and we made our journey.  This is probably sad, but being in Boston is the farthest I have ever been away from my parents.  I have always been close enough that I could drive home.  Even while we were in Las Vegas, Benn and I always drove to Parma, with the exception of going for my Grandma Jemmett's funeral.  Things are different now and trips back home will be few and far between - for both us.  But, as I have said many times, we are so excited for this new adventure.  We both know that with each other we can bare all things.  :)  So Benn dried my tears (after giving me a fair amount of time to cry), and we dedicated our time to making our apartment our home.  Like I said, when we get it finished, we will most definitely post pictures!  Thanks to all for reading and sharing this adventure with us!  We love you, we miss you, and can't wait until we meet again! 

2 comments:

  1. I can't see the pictures, but I'm glad you finally updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you. Sorry about shattered glass. Sorry for needed cleaning as your welcome! Sorry I wasn't there to help. Grateful for your parents. Miss you and understand your tears. I've shed many too. love the pictures. Thanks for posting. Love you two.

    ReplyDelete